Sunday, August 26, 2012

LAX -> ORD

Aren't people that tweet that the fucking worst? It's like, "Hey, look at me, I'm going somewhere! My life is more exciting than yours! Look I'm a double douche I use the airplane emotes instead of arrows now you know I have an iPhone too!" It isn't enough that people tell you where they are going, but they even use the airport codes just to make sure you know they're flying...because you wouldn't want to get confused and think that someone is traveling by the all so popular overnight train.

I'm one of those people and I realize I am the worst. I send tweets like that to upset people. I get a kick out of causing others jealousy. I'm going to Chicago (and flying Virgin) on Tuesday and you fucking aren't. But if you are let's party. I also send those warning tweets out to give all my midwest slam pieces a heads up, it's a courtesy thing.

So there you have it, those are my Labor Day weekend plans. One week to terrorize the midwest, sample the new Broad Ripple Kilroys and wear white. Then I return to perpetual summer in Venice and I can throw as many fucking footballs on the beach as I want (the football beach ban only goes Memorial Day - Labor Day)

But what does one do on a trip home? Slip back into old habits? Round up the old gang? It's funny a year is both a very short and a very long time. Do people still party at North Ave beach all day, go to Social 25 and then end the night at Beaumont? Do all my old friends still routinely wake up hungover on Sunday, accidentally black out and end up at Stanley's for live band karaoke? One would hope, but I wouldn't know because I am so brutally terrible at keeping in touch.

When I left Chicago I had a core group of about 10 people I kicked it with at least once a week, more often times closer to 5 times a week, the door to Burling was never locked and we would routinely stay up drinking playing ping pong until 8 in the morning. Of that roughly 10 person crew, I have talked to maybe 2 of them in the past 6 months, because I am awful (see first paragraph) Sure there are circumstances, you don't talk to someone as much when you live thousands of miles away, everyone has their own shit going on with work, girlfriends, etc but even if it does sound a little lame, I shouldn't be afraid to pick up the phone once in a while.

I think I've had good buds get engaged and what not and I found out via accidentally stumbling upon their Facebook wall. In fact there are probably people that I will hope to see next week and then I will find out they moved to Denver or something but in my self absorbed world west of Lincoln in Los Angeles, I didn't get the memo. My time in Chicago will ultimately go down as my lost years. I had a dead end job, I got into some questionable things and basically wasted years 22, 23 and 24. But I fucking raged, and had the time of my life. Now that I live in LA, I have gotten into some more noble pursuits, writing, producing and surfing (Jesus that sentence makes me seem like an Aaron Sorkinesque ass hat) and I have my Los Angeles crew here but that's not to say the years 2009-2011 didn't kick some serious ass. I mean I was flying on G5's to the Bahamas on the reg, I lived in a multimillion dollar condo with a steam room, and oh yah, I was the fucking man. If I throw parties in LA I'm lucky to get 10 people to show, some of the Halloween parties at Burling and the 4th of July 2010 will go into the Hall of Fame (but not quite on the level of Shingles Snow Day)

This is a brutally self serving blog post, but the point I'm getting at is, I am getting the fucking band back together. People of Chicago you are all on notice. I know that most of you are like 26, and you may even live with a person of the opposite sex. It's quite possible many of you have been promoted twice and have a director or vp somewhere in your title. I write shitty coming of age scripts and test actors' grapes, but we have one week to celebrate the dog days of summer and a more reckless time. Yes we will go to Trivia Tuesday night at State, of course there will be Wednesday karaoke at Kincade's. Thursday I'm megabusing to Indy and I will probably open to close Kilroys on Friday. Saturday, it's back to Chicago for some rolling at North Coast and Sunday we'll throw back some bourbons on the roof of the Wit. Join me.

Next Tuesday, summer for all intents and purposes adjourns. Chicago will start to get a bit colder, football will dominate weekends and bro tanks will be exchanged for sweaters, swimsuits for jeans. But fuck next Tuesday. You're not going to get another 3 day weekend until the end of November and most of that weekend you'll be forced to hang out with your family. We are all laborers this weekend is for us, whether you have a 9 to 5 where you punch the clock or you hustle people to name drop you at the door for 5 bucks a head I invite you to join me on one last summer bender. If we haven't hung out in a while, I assure you, nothing has changed be that a good or a bad thing. The sun is setting on party season, let's have a tall night cap before we call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment