Thursday, March 22, 2012

Twas the night before...

I think people are too hard on the Kardashians and reality stars of the world. Being a socialite isn't easy, and largely they are hated because they have some sort of money that people perceive them to have not earned. That's a fair point of view...I am outrageously envious of the lifestyles they live. I still think I fucked my whole life up by not going to Sports that one day Senior year and auditioning for the Real World. I think back then I was still idealistic enough to think that I would probably be in the private sector of corporate America making close to six figures by the time I was 25. Instead, I live in Oakwood, Venice and my parents still have to buy my flights home for holidays if they want to see me.

The last IU guy to graduate and immediately go on the Real World was Dave Giuntoli I think it was maybe Real World South Pacific? You may know him now as the lead on NBC's Grimm or as the gay soldier that died or something on Grey's Anatomy. While I realize I am not pretty enough to be an actor...I'm certain that if I got the chance to be on camera I would become a national treasure as one of the most despicable people in America and I could at least write books about it. Even if that shit didn't pan out I could at least be in Cancun right now on MTV's dime...banging chicks like that one IU girl that transferred after banging the devil Acapulco '07.

But I digress. I didn't leave the shingles porch that day (or the inflatable pool rather) because I thought that  the "ripped off shirt, stapled back together, holding a handle of Burnett's" look was enough for me to score with a Sophomore that couldn't get into Kilroy's...and that's why I will never be famous.

But fortunately for me, I live in an exciting time and place where distractions can save me from the unfulfilled dreams of what could have been. One such distraction of late has been the meteoric rise of Indiana basketball. To be completely honest, ever since the meltdown that occurred while I was occupying Italy, I have pretty much lost touch with the team. Going into this season, I decided to become a megafan because quite frankly I didn't have many friends and the thought of going to a bar with like minded people was better than drinking alone.

Seemingly out of nowhere, we were this good team...and I had legendary days at Nikki's (Venice) when we beat Kentucky, I literally threw a chair...at Joe's on Weed New Year's Eve, I believe I poured a pitcher on the person next to me...at the Parlor in Hollywood when we housed Purdue...that was kickback to Kirkwood LA edition day, I think I had 7 Hairy Bears. In the meantime I have become a more knowledgeable sports fan than I have been since high school when I would spend by days on ESPN instead of doing homework. I know commenter handles on Inside the Hall...I know about this dude Tijan that played for the team when we were bad that everyone still loves because he was famously bad. I get all of the Fake Tom Pritchard's Daniel Moore jokes...I'm no longer bandwagon...I'm a fucking fan.

However, while the masses are all cheering for banner number 6, talking about Tom Crean as the reincarnation of Christ and touting tomorrow night's game as the battle between good and evil, I want to win for one simple reason: I don't want the party to stop.

Sure the Pacers and Blackhawks are having decent seasons, but neither seem to be a major contender in the playoffs, and regardless there is nothing more pure than the college basketball win. Although, I lived in Chicago and was actually employed by the Pacers I have a hard time taking ownership in either team. I fucking went to IU. I have a degree from there, and it represents (so far) the happiest time of my life. When I get to go to a bar and rip it with people that feel the same, I get to live vicariously through my former self and I forget for 2 hours the bullshit that I hate about growing up. When Jordy hits a 3, I'm not worried about paying rent, I'm worried about who I can cheers first. When Cody slams one home, I'm not worried about my hectic upcoming work week, I'm only concerned about where the after party is. So Hoosiers, while I think it is awesome that we are winning basketball games, I beg you, don't let the ride end. Not yet. What am I going to do 2 Mondays from now if you guys are eliminated...read a book? Work late? No, I need you to force fun activities for me...when you guys beat Kentucky tomorrow night that night will not only be immortal for you, but for everyone out there like me...an incredible night that no one will ever forget. You remember where you were when Christian hit that first 3? Of course you do...but I bet you won't know where you are the morning after Christian hits the next game winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment