Thursday, July 12, 2012

Come Back to Texas

Remember when MySpace had the mini blog and you could select a mood/song combo to help get across your emotions? It would be like...


Mood: emo Song: Adam's Song Blink 182
Ugh today at school Joshua wouldn't listen to me tell him about this super deep dream I had last night. Shannon doesn't even know who I am. Why is life so terrible. No one understands me, I'm gonna like slit one wrist horizontally so I definitely look like I tried to kill myself but didn't. MORE HELLOGOODBYE.


That's what will always be my memory of MySpace, the melodramatic theatre kids being emotional. And veiled suicide threats. MySpace was the KING of veiled suicide threats, back when suicide was a thing. I know it's not funny to make fun of, and most people probably know someone who has at least "attempted" but suicide was seriously so 90's. So angsty...go see Spring Awakening, it's all about this gay guy trying to blow his load in Lea Michele and you see her tits but then everyone around him dies. Ok so that's a poor plot synopsis, but pretty much that's how it goes down.

Can you imagine if Blogger or Wordpress had that shit? Not that people actually read blogs anymore, get me a funny .gif of someone reacting. "When I'm super hungover." Cue: a clip from final destination where someone gets hit by a train. GET IT! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE WHEN I'M HUNGOVER I FEEL LIKE I'M GETTING HIT BY A TRAIN. Whatever, people are idiots and have no attention span, it's like shining a laser pointer at a wall and making kittens chase it. But it seems unintelligent people drive social media, just check out the trending topics on twitter. #ONLYAFATBITCH LOLz.


But if Blogger did have emotions I would be fucking jacked and listening to some serious country music. Why country music you ask? Well 2 reasons. Country music, while not for me, is unbelievable party music. As soon as someone turns it on you can't help but find the nearest beer and chug it. And while it is gloomy as shit in Venice, CA today. In 24 hours I will find myself in the party capitol of the world: Austin, TX.


"What about Vegas, Ibiza, New Orleans????" 


Nope Austin.

No other major college campus integrates so seamlessly into a large metropolitan city as UT and Texas, so while 6th Street has a real Lincoln Park Chicago feel, you are a stones throw from Greek row...oh and their frats have pools, not that I'm going to visit college friends or anything but I imagine being a Longhorn would have been a lot of fun and at times a liability.

It gets better, Saturday, I'm going on a fucking float trip. I've blogged about float trips before, they are the fucking greatest. And did I add that I am going to Austin for a girl's 21st birthday party? Me surrounded by girls 4 years my junior who still care about things like how cool you were in college and how good your alcohol tolerance is? These kids will probably think I'm God.

But aside from the lakehouse 25 people have rented out in New Braunfels, the 6th street raging (at all the bars from my favorite Real World. Dizzy Rooster, check.) The float and a concert Saturday night, it really is good to get out of LA every once in a while. This place is great, don't get me wrong, but it is also soul sucking. Every day in LA I lose a little bit of my equilibrium. I lose sight of the big picture in life. When you hear enough stories about getting bj's from female PA's for a promotion, back room couch casting sessions you start to lose your sense of how the real world works. It's nice to escape once every couple of months to regain a sense of perspective.

And then when you get back you go buy some pot from a 7/11 and take a walk along the beach. That said, my perspective this weekend is going to be black. I've been to Austin 4 times and I have had the absolute time of my fucking life. I am going to consistently drink beers from 10am-5am all weekend, and ya I sound immature, and ya I should be focusing on other things. To be quite honest, blowing all my money on Texas this weekend is the most irresponsible thing I could possibly do. But sometimes you just have to say fuck it. I booked my one way flight on Priceline last night after a bottle of wine and I don't even have a plan on how to get back to LA. Do you know why? Because I'm awesome and one way or another it will work out. Winging it is for winners. I got a production assistant gig today, I'm a working member of the industry. So suck it, if anyone needs me the next 48 hours I'll be doing backflips off of canyons and teaching some southerners how to rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment