Monday, February 18, 2013

Winnebago Man Day 1 (Morning)

I like to think of myself as rather adventurous, at times even a free spirit. Therefore I've done some pretty bizarre things in my life. Thus far I've taken a solo vacation to the French Riviera to try to write a book, only to end up in a brothel with 8 Swedish girls I met at my hostel. That was pretty out there, but thats what happens when you roll to a foreign country on your own, you meet interesting people and do weird shit.

Then there was that time I emptied my checking account on a one way ticket to Austin for a float trip. After the weekend I had $120 in my bank account that I liquidated for a $119 plane ticket back to LA the next day. (The remaining dollar was spent on a McDonald's double cheeseburger) With no tangible assets left to my name, I figured I would sleep on the streets for one night, I mean how bad could it be, millions of people do it every day. However through some sort of miracle I discovered couch surfing and slept in a stranger's guest room, drank her beer and got a ride to the airport at 4 in the morning. It was an incredible experience and I would eventually write my first screenplay about this wild new social network.

And now there is today. I'm working on a movie and the script calls for an ultra specific RV, one that only exists in a small suburb of Dallas, TX. Now you may think that there is some magic transportation service in the entertainment industry that makes things apparate from point A to point B.

That is not the case.

Unless you call a PA taking a 1 way flight to Dallas to pick up an RV and drive it 22 hours back to Los Angeles "magic."

So that's what I'm doing today. Myself and some dude named "Bo" are about to go on a cross country adventure in a Winnebago. I have never driven an RV, my travel companion has no vowels in his last name, needless to say I am fucking thrilled. This is just the type of adventure that I live for...a journey of epic proportions. Needless to say I will be chronicling my entire journey west on interstate 10. My boss has given me a wad of cash with instructions only consisting of "be back by Thursday" whatever we do in the interim is completely up to us. Whether that be making a pit stop at a frat party in Tempe or finding a random RV park and completely immersing myself in the culture. I have no idea what the next 72 hours holds in store for me but I assure you, you will be kept in the loop.

I'm not sure what kind of internet access I will have in rural West Texas, or New Mexico, but I will be chronicling every single detail. I might end up in Mexican prison, I may detour to Vegas, all I know is that I get a real thrill out of the great unknown. Some people fly first class internationally for business, I fly in group C on Southwest and then spend 3 days driving an oversized vehicle back to Hollywood, it's just the life I've chosen.

So prepare for Due Date 2 (I suppose the stakes are a bit lower since we aren't dealing with child birth or anything, but I have a feeling this guy is going to be quite the Galifinakis character his email has "bong" in it) and come with me on this quest.

Mind you I have never driven anything larger than a sedan before and my New Orleans trip has left the Adderall well dry. Red Bull friends I know you have today off, feel free to leave a case outside my apartment. I'm leaving the office in an hour.

This should be interesting...here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment