Thursday, February 18, 2010

Floating Holidays

I bet responsible people budget their floating holidays to correspond with family gatherings such as Christmas or Thanksgiving. That's fucking dumb. Why the hell would you add an extra day by the fire watching the Macy's parade when you can take it right away and go to Aspen? Responsible people probably budget their vacation time as well or even worse let it roll over to the next year. Anytime I hear someone say, "Oh I can't go on this trip, I can't take the time off work." Or the people that go on vacations but still check their work email? Are you fucking kidding me? WHo cares how the market performed today or if the McNally deal went through or not. You are on a beach with a cocktail. You should be thinking "too close for missles, I'm switching to guns" and befriend the tiki bar server and take tequilla shots with him.

The only thing I think about when I get back from a vacation, is my next vacation. In fact sometimes I talk about my next vacation on my current vacation. I fucking scribble that shit all over the place at my desk, talk about it all day, it reminds me that if I can survive until said date I will be free. In the span of Q1 2010 I will have been on 3 major vacations, and several other getaways. I use a mixture of unpaid vacation time, sick days, and #floating holidays to do this. It helps that I don't have to pay for housing in the Bahamas, Vegas and Aspen, but someone who makes less than a salaried manager at Sonic shouldn't live this sort of lifestyle.

Quick side rant, people that call in sick when they are sick are idiots. You should come in when you are sick and do absolutely nothing. One of two things will happen, you will be sent home and NOT docked a sick day or you will just sit there and do nothing, no one will expect you to do anything if you are obviously sick. Sick days are for hangovers and unapproved vacations (cough cough I'm sick..."Peanuts, get your peanuts.") Yes Sick days are great for Day Games. End Rant.

I think I'm nearing some sort of hypothesis, quick interjection...when I write this blog I never have any idea what direction I'm going to take it...I just Go. AT some point I find a rational (or irrational) though and I just follow it. Right, well then, I think what I am trying to say is...nothing could ever make me a slave to my job. If I was on the beach and I checked my work email and found out something terrible...I would still be on the beach, why would you check your work email? If something bad is in there and you don't look at it...you'll never know. It's kind of like why I never check the mail at home, it's probably just bills, I feel like if I don't acknowledge them, they will just go away or something.

Jet-setting every weekend in the winter is great, and while it may not be the most fiscally responsible decision, I'm living in the now. I might plan a spring break for late March after this blog post, because when I'm 40, I'm not going to look back on the time that I was 23 and made 50 cold calls on a Monday morning in March. I'm going to remember tearing Ajax to shreds and then getting shattered at Erick's with some ski bums. In fact when I am 40 I will probably have a wife, kids, never get laid and my only vacations will be annual trips to Disney World...now is the time for the irresponsible bender paid for by money I don't have using the vacation time I haven't accrued. Don't think...just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment