Monday, July 18, 2011

The Confidence Factor

I think most people probably don't know that "con man" is short for confidence man. I suppose that makes sense. A con man gains your confidence and then swindles you out of something important, such as your money or love or whatever. Now I have a theory, it could be wrong, but I want to do a short entry and ask you if you agree.

Today I was at Nordstrom, the sales clerk was extremely helpful and also cute. But aside from picking out awesome clothing for me, and striking up a good report with my mom (always very important to connect with the bankroll as well) she made me feel like the fucking man. Oh ya, I went in there in smelly clothes that I hadn't washed from the lake, but she commented on my style and how she liked the items I picked out, just pumping my tires up huge. Now I realize that she is a commissioned sales person, but I have never gone into Nordstrom without spending triple my intended purchase. You can't go there and get one thing, not a fucking chance. How many times do you go in there for a pair of jeans and walk out having thrown 2 g's of essentials on the emergency family credit card...that fucking anniversary sale.

You'll notice that similar tactics are employed at strip clubs. I go in there thinking, I'll throw a few wadded up 5's on stage, get a few drinks, evacuate. Next thing you know you're in the basement, in a shower getting duel private dances while your friends cat call you from a private viewing booth. You do feel like the fucking man during this and it's not to say that those designer clothes and debaucherous memories aren't worth the loot, but are these people con-men? I have dabbled in sales before, I don't consider myself a swindler, but I feel like these people know that by making you feel like you are the king of the universe they know they have complete control over you.

People like to feel good about themselves, the confidence factor always leads to more erratic behavior, it's science. However, instead of letting these cunning individuals get the best of you, might I suggest an alternative...On a Friday after work, go spend a few hundred bucks on your mom's Nordstrom card. Afterwords go get a couple drinks over a private dance. By 9pm you will have spent 4 hours being told how awesome you are, you will ooze confidence all night, and you will undoubtedly wake up with company in the morning. Does that count as paying for sex? Building your confidence up artificially by paying people to tell you how great you are only to take some self conscious broad home who is attracted to your alpha male persona? We'll cancel out the con-man thing and the prostitution thing and just call it a successful Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment