Monday, December 19, 2011

Wingin' it

Let's talk chicken wings!. Of course teryaki flavored wings from B dubbs are the best in the world. (They are putting a bdubbs at Hollywood and Highland, I can hardly contain myself) And Hooters has the world's worst wings...and I would like to recant a position I held years ago that boneless wings are for pussies. Boneless wings are easier to dip/eat and you're not always in the mood or position to pig out and build a small skyscraper out of used napkins.

Those are the "best of" my general thoughts on wings. The reason I really titled this wingin' it is because I have realized that one of my best and worst qualities as a person is my total abandonment of a game plan. For the past 2 weeks my family, friends and coworkers have been asking me when I plan on going home for the holidays. I of course have no idea, no ticket bought as of this exact moment. I've heard flights are getting scarce and the rates probably aren't dropping...but I'll figure it out, right? I mean this is the 21st century I could book a train to topeka Kansas, Greyhound it to St. Louis, take a short one way flight into Ohare and then hitchhike back to Indianapolis all through iPhone aps...except maybe the hitchhiking, scratch that just checked there are guides to Hitchhiking, a social media ap for hitchhikers and the ebook Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

Needless to say, I'm not too worried. I think that is what people often find refreshing about me. I really don't worry about practical concerns the way others do. I never worry about how to get home for example. There is usually a cab, bus, couch or hostel within ear shot. Things generally work themselves out, and while this probably frustrates the shit out of anal type A personalities, I just find things a lot more exciting when you just kind of go with the flow. Many people have a fear of the great unknown, I tend to have more of a fear of routine...what could possibly be more terrifying that getting caught in the same rut for the end of time? Routine is for when you have kids and a wife and your life is pretty much over.

Do spur of the moment decisions make you uncomfortable and nervous? Well that's because you are a little bitch. Sure you may be a responsible, long-term goal seeking little bitch, but let's be honest winners think and live in the now. Fuck the past, it can't be changed...and the future, eh...it will still be there tomorrow. Go see Tom Cruise in Ghost Brotocol...do you think he is considering anything other than the now when he jumps off 211 story buildings and crashes through windows to fuck up the bad guys? Absolutely not.
(Sidenote: That movie totally redeemed Cruise, he can pray to any alien god he wants to...he's a fucking boss)

People may tire of my "seize the day" hedonistic "live in the now" message. I admit, I get tired of talking about how awesome it is to get drunk and do stupid shit (even though it is) and I usually use that as allegory to express how I feel about growing up and this whole "maturity" myth. I think a lot of people think they are better than you when they make a grocery list or stay in on a Friday night or adhere to a monthly budget.

Whatever, if that's your thing and it works for you, I'm not going to tell you that you are an uninteresting person. But if you are one of those people that shove your "signs of maturity" down someone's throat, you can go fuck yourself you sweltering cunt. Subway 8 times a week and living well above my means and cruising paycheck to paycheck works for me. It's possible that some may perceive my quality of life as excessive, I qualify it as exciting. I don't know where I will be a week, month or year from now, I have a cool exciting job and I live in the only place in the world where I can ski and surf in the same day.

..and I just booked a flight home...well not home per se. I booked a flight to Chicago (non-stop under $200, I told you booking far in advance is for the fucking birds) from there I'll probably do some light holiday shopping, check out the lights at Butch's, maybe go see my beloved Hawks and either ride home with another naptown transplant or God forbid take the Megabus.

Whatever...it'll work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment