Monday, January 4, 2010

2012 reasons to party

According to the latest effort from Roland Emmerich, we are all going to be peaced in less than 2 years anyway. So go drink, smoke and if you get fired from your job just take out a big loan and start spending aggressively. Of course I say this in jest, however...happy New Year everybody. I hope 2010 is your best year yet. This could be the year that you meet the one, but it could also be the year that you contract "the clap." So be realistic in your goal setting up 2010, and if you survived 2009 with a roof over your head and no life-threatening diseases, do a small fist pump and give someone a high five. (Ironically in some circles high five is slang for HIV positive. Hi-V get it?)

As I take a ponder at the year in revue, lots of things changed. I moved cities, I graduated college, and I am now REALLY on my own. I suppose it doesn't count as being on your own when your parents pay your tuition, rent, credit card bills and constantly replenish your checking account. So on the surface of 2010 sans all of those things and adding on a 50 hour a week job, one would think I am going to be pretty miserable...however I am going to look at the ice-scooper transformed into a shovel- shaped shot-glass half full (of $400 a bottle bar-bought Grey Goose) as opposed to half empty.

I used to go out roughly 5 nights a week and jet-set all over the country whenever I saw fit. I literally had no responsibility, because going to class is optional at best. The fact that you actually have to go to work and call someone up if you aren't going is a bit of a drag, but it really makes you appreciate the slightly diminished ammount of fun that you still do have. Let me make the following irrelevant and completely abstract analogy as I attempt to describe the transformation. In college my life was 20 ounces large with about 4 shots poured in. Now it is like an 8 ounce cocktail with 3 ounces poured in. While the former was larger and essentially had more alcohol in it...now there is more of a kick to it. With less time to lounge around, nap, play videogames, nearly all of my free time is consumed with awesomeness.

2010 will not be the year that I grow up, mature, move into my own place or even make an effort at finding a girlfriend. It will be the year that I prove that a 50 hour work week, long commutes and bad pay do not guarantee you a miserable plot in life. 4 years ago I thoroughly believed that the key to happiness was material things and money. 2 years ago I thought it was status, popularity, social clout. Now I'm pretty sure that the key to happiness is a positive attitude. One may say that I have transformed from an empty self-obsessed economic consumerist socialite into a hippie. I finally do understand why hippies are generally so happy. They do not give a FUCK about anything. If you can go around with a smile on your face, hanging out with the people that make you laugh and do exactly what you want to do with the time you have to do it...nothing else really matters. Now its time for some lists about what was great about 09 and what will be better in 2010.

5 little things I am looking forward to this year:
1. I will hook up with at least one of the girls who has blown me off in the past and go into extreme detail about it on this site for all to read.
2. I will finally send something I have written to a publisher, if they tell me it sucks, I will tell them that I am cooler than them.
3. I am going to sit down and watch the Godfather trilogy.
4. Colts superbowl, Blackhawks Stanley Cup
5. Probably 50 more Italian Beefs from Portillo's

My 5 favorite movies of 2009:
1. Up in the Air
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. District 9
4. (500) Days of Summer
5. Avatar

5 I'm looking forward to in 2010:
1. Shutter Island
2. Inception
3. Iron Man 2
4. Toy Story 3
5. Eclipse

5 things I really want to do in Chicago in 2010
1. Trivia night at a bar
2. See the Blue Man group
3. Wrigley Rooftop
4. Amateur night stand-up
5. (tie) Fix my sauna and see every musical that comes through.

Last List...5 ridiculously normal things that I have never done, that I will attempt in 2010
1. Eat a green vegetable
2. Do laundry
3. Take a girl on a non-college date
4. Give a homeless person a buck
5. Stay in an a weekend night

Ok number 5 on that last list isn't going to happen.

Good luck not dying before 2011 everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment