Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What would you do with $100,000

This is a question my boss asked my team members yesterday during out weekly meeting.

I suppose its a reasonable enough question. The reason people work is to make a living, and the point of his question is that he thinks we should all be making that much money in our third year. So the responses began:

Uh, I would buy a ferrari. Typical gdi response, go blow your whole load on some quick car that you won't know how to drive, afford the insurance for, or be able t fix when you crash into a lighpost doing burnouts in a parking lot with your one friend.

Next, I would put a down payment on a house...responsible, but GAY. Why would you ever want to own a house in the suburbs when yu are in your mid 20's? Is that what the American Dream has come to? Moving away from all your friends in the city, in with some chick who is going to make you miserable? Didn't this clown see Revolutioanry Road? That ended really well!

Pay off my student loans. OK, I know it sucks you weren't priviledged enough to have your parents pay for college...I've heard this sob story a thousand times, but for the perfect of this exercise would you pretend to not be an attention craving whore and just use some imagination. I do not feel sorry for you, and I will never apologize for the fortunate hand which I was dealt.

Go on a really nice vacation and invest the rest, don't even get me started. Put it in a college fund for my daughter...well at your daughter won't end up like the aforementioned Betsy Bluecollar who is in 6 figures of debt, but still a pathetic answer.

These pathetic, responsible, unimaginative responses continued until it was my turn to respond...I took a moment and surveyed the room and then said this:

Honestly, if I was handed $100,000 I would quit my job and stop working all together for the next 2 years. I would blow money on travel, alcohol, and other vices. I would sleep until about noon every day and go out every night, I would be constantly drinking. I would go on every road trip that was ever suggested. I would still buy Smirnoff instead of Grey Goose and still order off the McDonalds dollar menu. I would also buy a lottery ticket every day hoping that I would win so I could prolong this lifestyle. I would probably go somewhere new every weekend and rage. I would hire someone to do my laundry once a week. I feel like spending an average of a little more than $4000 a month I could sustain this lifestyle for a good 2 years. AT the end I would be broke and have nothing to show for my 2 year bender...but maybe, just maybe, I will have found some purpose in my life or found the will to grow up. Maybe in this time I will develop a passion or find someone that I truly care about...but if I had 100 grand RIGHT NOW...that's what I would do.


After a long silence my boss simply said..."Well that's one way to do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment