Monday, April 25, 2011

Excuses to drink: NHL Playoffs

This past Thursday I threw on my Kaner jersey and went to McGee's. I proceeded to watch a heartbreaking Pacers loss follwoed by an absolute prison rape of a hockey game. (Hawks pitching Luongo catching, hard and dry) It's not that unrealistic to think that I would have had 24 beers on any other Thursday evening, but unfortunately my counterparts here in Chicago aren't all as awesome as me. Thus sometimes they need an excuse to drink, and the week night doubleheader is one of the best.

As I stood there with my patchy Toewes-esque playoff beard, and running up a tab that would probably equate to a nice 30 year mortgage payment on a house in Detroit, I realized why I like hockey. Hockey, probably more so that other sport encourages rowdiness. It is intense, has lots of fights, shit talking and features lots of jumping and screaming after a goal. In basketball someone might have a cool crossover followed by a dunk. In hockey a defensive player may catch a slapshot to the face and lose 15 teeth while the puck will bounce off said mandible to Kaner who can slapshot one home all in one motion...(excuses self does stunt man to celebrate the radical nature of that scenario)

What I am trying to say is that not only are hockey players the most bro athletes in all of professional sports (see: Kane's cab incident, limo incident, 2 day hangover after blacking out at Lincoln Station) it is also a sport that makes everyone want to go out and party. How kick ass was last spring and summer, watching every game at a bar, beer showers after every goal, drinking a water bottle full of everclear during the parade. This is what sports are about, not city pride or respect of the game...getting fucked up on a Tuesday night, and having an excuse to do so.

Tomorrow night with be Game 5 of the Pacers/Bulls and Game 7 of Hawks/nucks. That coward Luongo will be back in net and I have a feeling the Hawks will be sending him to an early grave via suicide (probably by pills because that the pussy way to kill yourself and we all know that native Montrealeans are pussies) Joe's on weed has quarter beers and 5 dollar pizzas, but stay in the front room after 10 pm unless you have ties to the latin kings esse.

No comments:

Post a Comment