Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Get Off The Corner


In the past several years Little Wayne has become one of hip hops most popular acts. Closely associated with witty word play, purple drink and prison sentences; his last 3 or 4 albums have all topped the charts. Call me old school but I still prefer the 16 year old Little Wayne of Hot Boys fame who uttered memorable lines such as...

Lil' Wayne in the twat have it hurtin and thumpin
They be like, "That n*gga small girl but he workin wit somethin"
Lil' Wayne on fire I'll smash on your boo before a hot girl bang


Yes when all of you were listening to Britney Spears, and post grunge 90's bands like Matchbox 20, I was spitting these lines of Guerilla Warfare in the back of bus 144 on my way to Belzer Middle School. (Funny how now I listen to post grunge 90's bands almost exclusively) But nevertheless the Hot Boys were the absolute truth, Juvenile, BG, Turk and of course Wayne were an eloquent quarter of singer song-writers of the urban variety (actually a bald white 40 year old probably ghostwrote the above lyric.) Now I think Lil Wayne just gets all fucked up and slurs over a cool beat and people interpret their favorite versions of what he might be saying and call him a genius.

However none of that is important, I just was lamenting on my old gangsta side. Weezy will in about an hour join the long list of *impressive* bands that have performed at Indiana's Little 500 race. College bands such as O.A.R. Yellowcard, Dave and Tim have played in recent years and while this was before my time I'm pretty certain I have heard tales of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guster and even The Who playing headlining shows. In addition to that you have the rap concerts up on the extension and they are beyond atrocious.

My Freshman year 36 Mafia came to play AEpi and I'm pretty sure that some rich kid had his dad bankroll it for like 40 grand so he and all his buddies could tell stories the rest of their lives about getting high with Juicy J. They played for about 30 minutes sang 30 seconds of each song and the crowd was almost exclusively from Long Island. In fairness this was Saturday, I was beyond dead, maybe I was just too drained to enjoy the experience. I'll give them a shot next year when they bring...

Bubba Sparxx. Major mistake. Same rich kid had his dad bankroll this so he could tell all his friends he did meth with Bubba. Seriously this was the most atrocious excuse for a concert ever. That redneck idiot sat up there and sang that BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY song 3 times, Deliverance twice and then fell over dead (actually that would have enhanced the show quite a bit.) Needless to say I'm ready to write off rap shows. I'm not going to pimp my own brand and tell you how sick Glowfest was last year, instead I'll write a review this year and let you know what I thought of Pretty Lights. I'm also excited to hear what people thought of Weezy and if he played any of my throwback jams from the 90's. (If he doesn't at least sing "Shine" I'm going to flip out even if I wasn't there.)

Moral of the story is that you really never know what you're going to get for a concert during Little 5 week. For all I know Wiz will kill it in the tailgate fields Friday, but what I would suggest to anyone who is planning on attending one of these this week, get your drinking done beforehand. The entire police force of the state of Indiana regulates these things, so sneaking in your ex, pot and flask may be ill advised. I'll be at Glowfest 2.0 Thursday night, and I fully expect PL to rock my world, hopefully it will yours too.

I'm going to try to post on a specific little 5 event every day the rest of the week so stay tuned for pieces on boats, race day, coming back as an alumni, or whatever else pops in my mind when I'm bored as shit at work or when I can't sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment