Friday, June 10, 2016

Tales from the Writer's Room: Dad in town



Big Lynn is in town this weekend for a work conference. A vendor has put him up at the Omni Downtown LA. Since I do not know downtown at all, I decided to use this as an exercise to get to know my new coworkers. The question, 'Hey what should I do with my dad this weekend?'

The responses...

Anonymous assistant: You should definitely take him to Seventh Veil.

Me: The strip club?

AA: Fuck ya. Strip clubs are the shit.

Me: Seventh Veil isn't downtown, it's in Hollywood.

AA: Oh, it's just the only strip club name I knew.

Me: I actually was dating a girl once and then she told me that she secretly picked up shifts at Seventh Veil on the weekends to pad her income.

AA: How did that go...

Me: Not well, I think she thought I was going to think it is cool or something. I was actually horrified.

AA: Right, if T-Pain taught us anything it's that the IDEA of dating a stripper is better than actually dating a stripper. What is that girl up to now?

Me: Last I saw she was dating a rapper.

AA: Sounds about right.

Anonymous Writer: Take him to The Broad!

Me: Is that the museum that everyone is instagramming?

AW: Yes!!!

Me: The one with the rain??

AW: No...the other instagram one

Me: Oh the one with the stars?

AW: Yes!!!! And modern art, does your dad like modern art?

Me: Ummmmm...probably not.

AW: Ok, what does he like?

Me: Sitting on the couch with the cats.

AW: Your dad is an old cat lady?

Me: Kind of, he likes Westerns. He's from Iowa.

AW: Oh my God. Is he voting for Trump?

Me: Probably.

AW: Are you voting for Trump?

Me: No.

AW: Are you a Bernie Bro?

Me: No.... I'm with her...

AW: Oh god, she's the worst, I'm voting for Jill Stein.

Me: *sulks off*

The Intern: I wish I knew my dad...

Me: Oh ya, uh, so how do you like LA so far?

Anonymous Producer: You like to party don't you?

Me: Umm, why would you say that?

AP: You've worn Lacoste every day this week and you are straight, so obviously you were in a frat. Also I saw you watching hockey. You're an entitled white bro.

Me: Wow, um...

AP: I'm just fucking with you man, relax!

Me: Oh, phew...

AP: But you do like to party right?

Me: Sure.

AP: Take your dad on a brewery crawl through downtown LA. Start at Angel City and then go to the Arts District. Keep boozing. Grab a late dinner at Nick and Stef's steakhouse, finish up with whiskey and cigars at 7 grand.

Me: That's actually really good advice.

AP: You think you're the only broke assistant that has ever had his rich dad come into town for a weekend?

Me: But you make $10,000 a week now.

AP: I still let my dad pay for dinner, makes him feel important. I let him pay for the drugs too.

Me: Wait what? Are you kidding or not?

AP: I don't know.

Me: You're tough to read.

AP: Exactly.

The Mail Guy: Disneyland. It's the happiest place on Earth.

Me: I don't know if he would be into it.

MG: People that don't like Disneyland cannot be trusted.

Me: But like, I'm 29 and he's 61.

MG: You want a list of cool Disneyland rides for adults? Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Materhorn, Thunder Mountain, It's a Small World...

Me: It's a Small World?

MG: Tower of Terror, Radiator Springs Racers, California Screamin, Grizley River Run, I could keep going.

Me: No man, I get it...we went to Disney World 13 years in a row when I was a little kid. It's just I never remember thinking Small World was that cool.

MG: Well then you clearly never went on shrooms.

***

I think I'm going to fit in just fine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment